Sunday, July 17, 2011

Not your ordinary Salad!

r
I'm not a huge fan of salad. I know that is lame of me as a vegan but piles of iceberg lettuce and oily dressing just doesn't do it for me. I wanted something hardier like a pasta dish. So tonight I made Ferro salad for dinner. It sooo was delicious!!! If you've never tried ferro salad I encourage you to. It's simple, hardy, and healthy!

Ferro Salad
Ingredients:
-2 3/4 c water
-2 c farro or barley works just as well.
-1 small onion. Half of the onion cut into fine little pieces and the other half into very large chunks
-1 garlic clove cut into fourths
-1 handful of parsley
-1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 to 2 large tomato cut up
-1 handful of basil
-2 tsp salt

Dressing:
-1/4 c olive oil
-1 tbs balsamic vinegar
-1 tbs red wine vinegar
-2 tbs honey

In a saucepan bring water, ferro, garlic, 1/2 the bundle of parsley, the large onion chunks, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of the water is gone (10-15 minuets). Let sit for 5 minuets and remove onion, garlic, and parsley. Little bits of parsley left over are okay.
Heat up the finely cut onion until brown and sweet. Be careful not to burn them. Put them aside to cook.
Wisk together the two types of vinegar, olive oil, and honey until well blended. Pout the dressing over the ferro. Add the fine cut onions, tomatoes, some torn up parsley and basil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
I added some vegan mozzarella 'Cheeze' on top before I ate it but it tastes yummy without it.
Bon appetit~

Next time I make this I might add a little spinich or swiss chard. They are my favorite veggies! What's yours any how do you go about cooking it?

Have a great evening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment